The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) aims at helping to achieve the Millennium Development Goals and the Lao PDR Government's 2020 goals of reducing the infant mortality rate, under-five mortality rate, maternal mortality rate and malnutrition. The organisation supports the development of health policies and assists the Ministry of Health in implementing the national immunization program, including vaccine supply, the control of diarrhea and acute respiratory infections, improved breastfeeding practices and safe motherhood.
To further improve equal access to and the quality of education in the Lao PDR, the Ministry of Education (MoE) in collaboration with UNICEF launched the Schools of Quality (SoQ) initiative. The SoQ initiative aims to establish a holistic, rights-based and child-participatory approach to educational development that promotes improvements in teaching standards, learning results, learning environment and educational outcomes. The Ministry of Education has meanwhile adopted the School of Quality Policy
UNICEF assists the Ministry of Education and their Provincial and District offices in organizing activities that promote equal access to quality of education. These activities include:
1. School director training on strengthening school management and leadership, developing a School Development Plan and Child-seeking School Map, etc.
2. Pre- and Primary School teacher training on classroom environment organization and participatory teaching and learning. Besides the capacity building, each teacher receives a Teacher Tool Kit with teaching and learning materials.
3. Teacher training on Health and Hygiene Education. Each participating school receives at least two ‘blue’ boxes with teaching and learning materials related to health, hygiene, bird flue, nutrition, etc.
4. Assisting Provincial Education Services Officials in organizing quarterly coordination meetings with District Education Bureau staff from all districts and Development Partners working in the Education Sector.
5. Construction and rehabilitation of school toilets and water facilities to enable students bring their health and hygiene education into practice.
6. School renovation for schools in a poor physical condition.
Read more on the UNICEF Laos Website.